On May 4th, 2016, hundreds of WTS members and guests from across the Bay Area gathered at the Scottish Rite in Oakland to honor this year’s scholarship and award winners.
This year’s award winners included:
- The Peninsula Corridor Electrification Project (Innovation Transportation Solutions)
- April Chan, San Mateo County Transit District (Rosa Parks Diversity Leadership)
- The San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency (Employer of the Year)
- Laurel Poeton, Alameda County Transportation Commission and Christina Watson, Transportation Agency for Monterey County (Members of the Year)
- James Bourgart (Honorable Ray LaHood Award [Man of the Year])
- Grace Crunican, Bay Area Rapid Transit (Woman of the Year)
- Maria Ruiz (Transportation YOU High School Scholarship)
- Nabila Farah Franco, Santa Clara University (Molitoris Leadership Undergraduate Scholarship)
- Marie Pichay, UC Berkeley (Sharon D. Banks Undergraduate Scholarship)
- Fern Uennatornwaranggoon, UC Berkeley (Leadership Legacy Graduate Scholarship)
- Maitagorri Schade, UC Berkeley (Helene M. Overly Graduate Scholarship).
Dr. Beverly Scott, Chief Executive Officer of Beverly Scott Associates, LLC, gave this year’s keynote speech. Dr. Scott spoke about the importance of achieving equity in the transportation sector and empowering women to make a difference in the industry.
Throughout the evening, attendees bid on exclusive silent auction items. Some lucky guests took home coveted prizes, including a tour of a new BART car and lunch with the BART General Manager, a Central Subway tour, and Giants tickets.
The Annual Event is the Chapter’s biggest event of the year, and proceeds go towards the Chapter’s scholarship fund. This year’s Annual Event raised over $30,000. The night would not have been possible without the support of the Chapter’s Board, corporate and agency partners, table and event sponsors, dedicated volunteers, and all of the attendees who came out to join us!
Interested in volunteering for the 2017 Annual Event? Please contact the Annual Event co-chairs: